Wednesday 11 May 2016

Dolce K lip kit by Kylie Jenner and the perfect dupe

Unless you've been living under a rock for the last few months, you'll know that the Kylie Jenner lip kits are currently a huge deal in the beauty world. I finally managed to get my hands on a kit so do they live up to the hype? Time for another honest review! 
As many of you will know, these kits are very difficult to come by and they sell for a small fortune on ebay, a batch gets released once or twice a week and customers are put into a queue as the servers get so busy then once it's your turn you get to order so it's a bit of a faff just for a lipstick but I'd heard so much about these that I really wanted to try one. 
First impressions, I love the design of the packaging and tube, it really stands out from other lipsticks. The matte liquid lipstick kits come with both a lip liner and the lipstick and the idea is to use the lip liner first, filling in the entire lip and then applying the lipstick over the top which is unlike anything I've ever used before. Secondly I noticed the smell, which is overwhelming, it smells like vanilla cupcakes and I never understand why cosmetics companies feel the need to put sweet scents into products. Personally, I'd rather cosmetics companies started making products unscented as I find it slightly off putting. 

I picked the shade Dolce K as I like warm, nude colours however this shade is not what I was expecting, I find it to be too dark and definitely not a shade I could wear everyday for work which is what I was hoping for. However on the bright side, it is long lasting, even after eating and drinking. I recommend exfoliating and moisturising lips the night before using this liquid lipstick as it dries to a completely matte finish so if you have dry or chapped lips this product will highlight the problem. I also find that this shade really varies against different skin tones. 
Overall, including shipping this product is £30 to UK customers which in my opinion is excessive. Would I purchase from the Kylie range again? Well I love how it looks in photos but I wish I had picked a lighter shade such as Candy K so that I can wear it for work. 

My advice is if you are going to buy one, make sure it's from the official Kylie website as eBay sellers charge even more and also if you're skin tone is very light like mine then pick the lightest shade you can find. I like this product despite the scent and picking the wrong shade and I will continue to wear it but let me make it clear, this looks a lot better in photos than it does in person! I am somewhat disappointed in this product and I don't think it justifies it's price tag, there are far better matte lipsticks and glosses out there for a fraction of the price!

Now for the perfect dupe! 
For those that still want to try the Kylie range but don't want to splash out £30 I have found a good dupe which is the NYX Soft Matte lip cream in the shade Abu Dhabi. 
I find this to be the closest match to Dolce K and it's only £5.50, Abu Dhabi is just slightly warmer and less dark but it dries matte and is fairly long lasting. 
Dolce K on top and Abu Dhabi comparison 
I hope you enjoyed my honest review of the Kylie Jenner lip kit! 
Jen
X

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS