Saturday 8 August 2015

My Top 10 Fashion and Beauty Icons

Inspired by Lucy's post, which you can read here. I thought I'd share my top 10 fashion and beauty icons, I couldn't possibly squeeze it into 5. I love the classic looks of 1950s icons, the red lips, winged eyeliner and fitted dresses, though I also love the simplicity of modern styles. So in no particular order, let's begin... 

 Marilyn Monroe 
Okay so it may seem like an obvious choice, Marilyn always seems to make it in people's lists of icons but there's no denying her look was iconic of the 1950's. I can't say I know much about Marilyn other than her signature red lipstick, winged black eyeliner and figure hugging outfits but there was just something about Marilyn that was mesmerising. Men loved her, and women wanted to be her -- or at least look like her. And with good reason. Marilyn Monroe was sexy without being trashy, and she remains a fashion icon nearly 50 years after her death. 

 Grace Kelly
I first noticed Grace Kelly's style in Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window, in which she walked around in classic 1950's gowns complete with figure hugging corsets and puffed out skirts. Her look was so classy and elegant and again, classic of the 1950's era. Even her wedding dress screamed elegance and grace and was the inspiration behind Kate Middleton's wedding gown. To this day, I still find her style timeless and stunning, I just wish we still wore gowns like this. I feel that Grace often downplayed her makeup in order to let her outfits take centre stage. I would describe Marilyn's look as classic and Grace's as elegant. 

 Elizabeth Taylor 
There's no denying that Elizabeth Taylor was stunning back in her youth. Known for her winged eyeliner, groomed brows and bold choice of lipstick, her makeup was always so perfect and on point. She was probably one of the first icons to perfect the brow which made her overall look bold and stand out complete with her dark flowing locks. By far my favourite look of hers was as Cleopatra. 

 Aaliyah 
Many may not be familiar with the late R&B singer Aaliyah, who died tragically at the age of 22 but whether she was dressed from head to toe in an awards ceremony gown or casual with her signature tomboy look, she was always flawless and on point. Many describe her look as classy as opposed to the often trashy looks we see from some celebrities who shall remain nameless. Back in the 90's, she was known for her tom boy style of baggy pants, Calvin Klein underwear, denim dungarees and back to front caps, but as her career progressed so did her style as she experimented with bold makeup, gowns and ombre locks and because she was so fascinated by the ancient Egyptians, this was reflected in many of her looks. 

Katy Perry
I just love how colourful and quirky she is! Katy does what everyone wishes they could do and dresses like a cartoon. She's not afraid to be outrageous or daring and always takes risks with her style. I think she suits every look she tries, whether she's quirky and dressed up like a smurf or classy and elegant in a gown, whatever she tries, it's always a winner! 

Kate Middleton
Finally a British icon in my list! I love how she is so effortlessly elegant and classy but with a modern twist. It's like she doesn't really have to try but still somehow always manages to look sophisticated. I particularly love her casual everyday dresses with heels and a clutch bag. Her makeup and hair are usually subtle and understated whilst her gowns are simply stunning, she usually picks soft pastel colours which clearly work so well for her. Her look may not be for everyone and she has faced criticism for her weight but there is no denying that she has good taste in fashion. 

Audrey Hepburn
Of course who could forget Audrey? I love her classy French inspired look with strong brows and flawless makeup. I particularly loved her capri pants and flats look which was both casual and classy. I think her style is classic but yet so different to that of other icons around at the time as Audrey did not go for the sexy look, instead she was elegant and graceful and it clearly suited her so well as it showed off her natural beauty. 

Emma Stone
If there was ever going to be a film version of my life, Emma Stone would be the one to play me, I love how she can be blonde or brunette and somehow suit both, I love her quirkiness and overall style. She often chooses fitted dresses with a pop of colour which makes her overall look fun, modern and fresh. I don't think I've ever seen her look bad plus her makeup always looks so fresh and flawless. I particularly love her makeup in the Revlon campaigns. 

Gwen Stefani 
Like Lucy, I'm a big No Doubt fan and have been since their prime in the 90's. I've always loved Gwen's look of signature platinum locks, bold red lipstick and quirky outfits. Her style is modern classic as her makeup looks as though it came straight from the 1950's so it's clear she loves this era and is inspired by it. Since the 90's her look has evolved from blue tinted hair and edgy to modern classic. She's clearly found a look she loves and has stuck to it throughout the years. 

Lady Gaga
So her style isn't exactly wearable or mainstream but I love how she can transform herself and doesn't even look like the same person. When she first burst out onto the scene, her look was colorful, unique and edgy and has since evolved into classy and elegant depending on the event. She proves that she can do both but what I love most about her style is that she is just being herself and simply doesn't care what anyone thinks of her, she's just having fun. 

I hope you enjoyed my top 10 fashion and beauty icons, they may not be to everyone's taste but I love all their styles for various reasons, whether it's the style itself or the person wearing it and their attitude of not caring what anyone thinks. Some styles are wearable and some aren't but I like to draw inspiration from all of the above and sometimes incorporate elements of it into my own style. 
Jen
X

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS