Monday 11 January 2016

90's Inspired Make-up Look

It's been a little while since my last blog and today I wanted to do something a bit different, I was always a fan of the makeup looks of the 90's which usually consisted of matte brown lipstick, neutral eyeshadow and lashings of the now iconic Maybelline Great Lash mascara and when I think of this era immediately what springs to mind are the many supermodels of that time such as Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss and Claudia Schiffer. So today I thought I'd tell you about how I achieved my 90's inspired makeup look and what products I used...
I am so inspired lately by the makeup looks of various eras and I always try and create my own interpretation of them. I swear by some of my old faithfuls to create these looks and also some new products and tricks that I have recently discovered. 
This here is everything I use to complete the above look. The first thing you may notice is the microporous tape, a makeup artist actually taught me about this, I use it on the corners of my eyes before applying my eyeshadow to give a defined finish after blending a smoky eye, it's also good to use as a template for liquid eyeliner to get a perfect line. 
So in order of use, this is everything I have to achieve my look:
Boots microporous tape
Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion
Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette
Seventeen Falsify HD Mascara 
Maybelline Great Lash Mascara 
Maybelline Master Ink Eyeliner
Rimmel Stay Matte Primer
Revlon Colourstay Concealor in shade light medium
Estee Lauder Double Wear foundation in shade Dawn
Naked On The Run bronzer
Rimmel Eyebrow Pencil in shade 002 Hazel
Max Factor Colour Elixir Lip Liner in shade Mauve Moment
Revlon Super Lustrous lipstick in shade Smoky Rose
Benefit Watts Up Highlighter 

The key to creating a 90's inspired look is to keep it simple - dark lipstick with lip liner to help define your lips and give the colour some depth and keep the eyes smokey but neutral using brown and beige eye shadows. I find bronzer, instead of blush also helps. Use browns and beiges on the eyes with a bit of black eye liner and subtle highlight and bronzer on the cheeks. It may be tempting to do some extreme contouring as seen on super models in the nineties but it works best for a modern day twist, with subtle contouring using bronzer. Apply a light brown eye shadow using a crease eye shadow brush, I use Real Techniques brushes, then simply apply in the eye crease slightly blending upwards and out at the same time. 

Try not to overload your brush as you will end up with eye shadow particles falling everywhere. The trick here is to start off with the lightest colour and then layer it and build up using the darker colours so that you end up with the darkest colour at the outer corners of your eyes and try not to blend the darkest colour all the way across your crease, keep it at the corners to avoid intensity.

My favourite part of this look is the trademark lipstick, no nineties look is complete without a dark lipstick. It took me a while to find the perfect colour for this look, as many of the genuine nineties lipsticks I had been recommended by people had been discontinued. I was told Toast of New York by Revlon was a very popular colour back in the nineties but I am unable to source it, the next best thing I could find was Smoky Rose by Revlon which really is a beautiful shade and not too dark to use for different looks.

I hope you enjoyed my nineties inspired look and tutorial. Share your ideas and creations by commenting! 
Jen
X

No comments:

Post a Comment

BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS